Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Another update in about a week

Thanks all for your emails and comments on this blog.

Chris from brewbot has not responded to repeated emails where I offered up to post an unedited comment from him.

I'm a backer on a different project on Kickstarter (much smaller $!) that is using the same business model...
1) Take the pledges
2) Send frequent updates on progress, but limit actual content
3) Go silent for over two months on their own blog and kickstarter forum
4) Have one off emails with a few people that "we will have an update soon"

I think the crowdfunding model has a bit of a problem...

6 comments:

  1. The problem for these crowd funding platforms, is that they don't self regulate, nor are they regulated by the authorities (i believe).... if they had to return their fees when projects bomb, it would be a different story. As it stands, they don't financially care, they get their money. BTW, I believe that UK based crowd funding platforms are FSA regulated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the challenge is there's a difference between failure to produce because of an insufficient plan, and no intention of delivery. I've had two cases where there really appears to be no intention to delivery.

      Crowdfunding sites need to have some way to distinguish between these two situations and treat them differently.

      Delete
  2. Can you post Chris McClelland's email address please? I want to email him directly now for my refund. I've been emailing the "info@..." email address previously.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chris@brewbot.io Good luck! Been almost a year since I first asked for mine. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the same email address that I have used for Chris. Please note that to get a response I often sent an IM to the Brewbot Facebook page asking them to remind Chris to check email.

      Delete
  4. I managed to make myself available for the 'town hall' this week, only to be greeted with the standard Brewbot silence.

    ReplyDelete